Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Say

Hey, everyone. Cool, I'm being punctual and good with keeping this thing up. So far, at least once a day. Either that, or I'm getting so bored, that I have to do something productive, lest my day be completely wasted.

Today, my Arts of New York teacher commented on my writing to the whole class. Awkward. It was on something I didn't even know I did, and I meant it in a literal sense, not metaphorical. Oh well. Anyway, she thought I was clever, and we go on random trips to see various ballets and operas. If only she'd gotten to RENT sooner. Or Spring Awakening. Or some underground production of Sweeney Todd that I happened to be starring in? Too out there? Whatever.

I got a B- on my English paper. Apparently my biggest weaknesses were structure and editing. I HATE revising papers. It's idea censorship. First drafts are final drafts to me. On the first day, she asked us all what we didn't like about writing. Everybodys saying tthings like they don't like getting bad grades or if it's not any good. When my turn comes, I state my name (standard first day etiquette), and say revising. She lookeed at me like she hadn't expected that, as I continued to say that revising to me is editing ideas, and they're perfectly fine the first time they come out. That's when either some guy or some girl says that it's just revising the structure. I don't remember if I said anything, but I remember thinking "Yeah, tampering with the structure of the idea so it's a different one? Nitpicking? Really?" I guess revising is a part of life.

My italian class is kicking my ass. I know it, but it's not exactly memorized. So it's kicking my ass. I do my homework, so I could get a decent grade. Decent, however, isn't good enough for my mom. Plus, I've got the GPA requirement to think about.

My acting class rocks. My teacher's really zen-ish, really calm. He tells us to "play with the space" and to "experiment with status." The one time I saw him get testy was when this girl's cell went off in the middle of "playing with the words." He didn't yell or anything, but you could sense the agitation.

My history class. On Blackboard, which I can never ever get into. My teacher's no Mr. Guerra, but he can get by. I think I ACED that quiz he gave us.

I have yet to make close Macaulay Honors friends. Sure, there's Natalia, but she's in Queens, and I knew her beforehand. I made an acquaintance/friend in English named Marina. She draws and writes stories, and her characters are living and breathing in her head. Awesome way to write. quite inspiring. She's Scholars, and the Townsend Harris alums in Macaulay Honors always seem to have something to say about her. (Ironically, they were on the Townsend Harris swim team. That's probably why I can't talk to them. Too much Cleveland Loyalty. They pummeled us. I remember having a conversation with a Townsend Harris breaststroker in the disgusting Lane locker rooms. I wonder if she goes to school with me now. I know there's a breaststroker in Honors, I think that one's Sunny (her name). Imagine that was her. Irony.

My Arts of New York professor has us write quotes on the board sometimes. If I get called for one one day, I think I should have some ready. That's why this blog's called "Say." Quotes are said.

Wilson: You know why people are nice to other people?
House: Ooh, I know this one, Because people are good, decent and caring. Either that or they're cowards.

When life is not so nice, remember this advice, Put some vanilla behind your ears and you'll smell like a cookie all day.

Those who cannot remember the past will spend a lot of their time looking for their cars in mall parking lots.

“There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.” J.R.R. Tolkien (genius writer and linguist)

Charlie: Guys, where are we? (Best character on LOST, I don't care what anybody says. I took his fate really badly.)

Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it. C.S. Lewis (The Chronicles of Narnia)

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

(Last 3 quotes were by Douglas Adams. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I would put more of Tolkien, and even Lewis, but my favorite quotes by them are in fact, all of their books. Too long for a blog. I had to stop myself from adding more from this guy.)

Max: And you know what really pisses me off is I swallowed all those cotton balls and they never even took a damn x-ray.
Hippy Dude: You still have options man.
Max: Yeah, jail or Canada and they both suck. I mean I could never come home, so what is it, it's a choice of a 6x4 cell or an endless wasteland of frozen tundra.
Hippy Dude: Montreal is cool.
Max: Man, they speak French.
Hippy Guitarist: So learn French. Learn French or die.

(Across the Universe rocks.)

Well, I'll have more as they come, as Rory is almost done with ther work study thingy. Cool. I wish I could work. My mom's all like no it'll ruin your GPA.

Oh well. Toodles.

No comments: